01 Jul Will You Help Defend Your Community by Volunteering with CHC?
CHC’s supporters and volunteers are our biggest asset and our best resource in this fight to defend our community from irresponsible oil and gas development. If you’d like a bigger role in the fight, would you join us as a volunteer?
On Tuesday, July 8 we’ll launch monthly volunteer meetings for anyone interested in helping CHC with necessary tasks, including our work to protect the North Fork’s public lands. Regardless of what’s going on, you can simply show up on the second Tuesday of each month from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm at The Hive (130 Grand Ave.) in Paonia to find out how you can help.
We have a big challenge ahead of us and lots of tasks that you may be able to help with. Many of you have already been volunteering with us. Thank you so much–we can’t tell you how much we appreciate your help! Here’s what you’ve done for us and our community already:
- helped us spread our message by writing letters to your legislators and administrative agencies, making phone calls, and talking to your neighbors about the threats we face and how we can fight back.
- invited people into your homes to discuss what’s important to all of us and introduced new supporters.
- shown up at meetings with signs and your story about why oil and gas drilling isn’t appropriate in our community.
- carried backpacks around for hours to help us collect air samples so we’ll have a baseline reading of air quality for the region.
- stuffed envelopes and organized our mailings.
- done data entry to help us manage information.
- checked newspaper notices to help us make sure we aren’t missing proposed oil and gas drilling activities.
- made brownies and casseroles for our potlucks, picnics, and house parties.
- given us a much-needed pat on the back too!
Some of you have said you don’t know how to help or you’re not sure you have any skills to offer. Well, here’s the truth: we don’t need everybody every day, but everyone who wants to volunteer has skills that can help. Will you sign up to volunteer today?
We look forward to working shoulder to shoulder with you!