27 Aug Hike with CHC & Other Important Upcoming Events & Dates
August 27, 2014,
We’ve got two great hiking opportunities coming right up:
- Saturday, Sept. 6th – Hike Clear Fork in The Thompson Divide. Celebrate National Public Lands day with CHC and our partners from The Thompson Divide Coalition and the Western Slope Conservation Center for a hike up the Clear Fork trail. From the North Fork, meet at the Conservation Center office (204 Poplar Ave. in Paonia) to carpool at 8:15 am. Otherwise, meet at the trailhead at 9:30 am. Bring boots, water, sunscreen, lunch and orange clothing. Directions: To access Forest Trail #810 travel north from Paonia, CO on Colorado State Highway 133, to County Road 265, travel west on County Road 265 to Forest Road #844 (Clearfork Road). Go east on Forest Road #844 to trailhead for Forest Trail #810 located at a locked gate. Click here for a trail brochure.
- Monday, Sept. 22nd – Hike The Pilot Knob Roadless Area. We got rained out the first time around, so we’ve rescheduled our planned site visit to the Pilot Knob for Monday, Sept. 22nd. Join us for a full-day of walking around the beautiful Pilot Knob Roadless Area. A carpool will leave from Backcountry Coffee in Paonia (210 3rd Street) at 8:00 am. We’ll explore the Buck Mesa and 1000 Acre Flats trails, where drilling company Petrox has proposed drilling up to 50 new gas wells. Bring sunscreen, plenty of water, a lunch and snacks, and good hiking boots. Both trails are easy to moderate in difficulty–the Buck Mesa trail will include consistent up-hill on the walk back. Click here to RSVP.
Sunday, Sept. 7th – FREE Film Screening of Documentary Dear Governor Hickenlooper. Citizens for a Healthy Community is proud to present a FREE screening of the documentary film Dear Governor Hickenlooper on Sunday, Sept. 7th from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm at the Paradise Theatre in Paonia. Click below to watch the trailer for Dear Governor Hickenlooper and click here to RSVP and invite your friends on Facebook. Click here for more information.
- August / September – Release of Draft Bull Mountain Master Development Plan Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). This proposal from operator SG Interests calls for up to 150 new gas wells in the North Fork watershed.
- Mid-October – This is the latest date rumored by the BLM for a release of the Draft Resource Management Plan (RMP) and EIS for the Uncompahgre Field Office. The BLM has announced that the draft RMP will include theNorth Fork Alternative Plan as one potential option.
- November 3, 2014 – Kids’ Pasta Project dinner to benefit Citizens for a Healthy Community. Location and details coming soon!